Saint John the Baptist Catholic Church

3526 St. Johns Way

South Bend, Indiana 46628

(574) 233-5414

(574) 282-2317

 

Parish Bulletin Archive

Saint John the Baptist Catholic School

3616 St. Johns Way

South Bend, Indiana 46628

(574) 232-9849

Fax: (574) 232-9855

It all started in 1956......

In May, 1956, the Diocese of Ft. Wayne announced the establishment of a new parish on the Westside of South Bend.   St. John the Baptist was this new parish, located on seven acres, with Fr. Joseph A. Jacobs appointed as pastor.  The first Masses were said at Ardmore School with approximately 400 in attendance on September 2, 1956. 

 

In the fall of 1956, bids were taken for an eight-room school (this is what we know as the front hall) and church – auditorium. The school opened its doors to students September 4, 1957, with Sr. Clarice and Sr. Mariella, members of the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration and three lay faculty members.  The school population continued to grow and it became necessary to add four more classrooms in 1960.  The highest enrollment of 455 came with the baby boomers in the 1960's.  More Sisters were added as were more lay faculty and staff.

 

With the advent of the seventies, eighties and nineties, the church and school maintained very well with only lay faculty and staff. In the new millennium, the enrollment of the school has declined but we are still a very vibrant church and school on South Bend’s westside.  Religious training as well as excellent academics has always been our first and foremost goal as a church and school. Our fifteenth principal, Mrs. Janet Wroblewski, a St. John’s graduate, has carried on the excellence modeled by the religious principals before her. 

 

We now leap into the future with our current principal, Mr. Derek Boone. Originally from Huntington, our sixteenth principal joined our community in Fall 2015.

 

Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© St. John the Baptist Catholic Church & School